Thursday, April 19, 2012

Peek at the Week and Spelling List

April 23 - 27

Peek at the Week:

This week we are reviewing unit 5 and will be benchmark testing towards the end of the week.

Spelling:

I am very, very excited about spelling this week. Spelling time is one of my favorite times of the day. I always try to make our activities hands on so the kids enjoy and can retain what they are learning. I hope that they come home and tell you when we have a fun activity. Since this is a review week, our curriculum does not provide a spelling list. This means that I get to create a list that reflects the needs that I feel my students have.

This week, instead of having a high frequency word list with common misspelled words, I have decided to make a feeling words list. One of my goals in second grade is to get the kids away from writing simple words like sad, happy, and mad. I try get them thinking of higher level words that will enrich their writing or even their conversations amongst one another. So, this week we are working on feeling words and I am so excited about the learning that will follow.

1. terrible
2. annoyed
3. relaxed
4. concerned
5. bored
6. startled
7. impatient
8. delighted
9. bubbly
10. jealous
11. terrific
12. gloomy

Challenge Words:
1. measurement
2. area
3. perimeter
4. governor
5. children

Dictation Sentence:
Since we are working on creating sentences using feeling words this week, I am going to let the kids create their own dictation sentence to practice. They will be graded on correct spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.





2 comments:

  1. I find this very helpful. Going through the page with Tess, she was very interactive with me and was able to tell/comment on the items that you have posted about. Great job!
    Kelly Rowland

    ReplyDelete